The Priory has a long musical tradition. In 1450 a Choir School was established at the Priory for ‘twelve quarasters and a maister’ to teach them both grammar and song. Today the Priory’s musical tradition is continued to a very high standard by a choir of about 20 boys and 16 adults under the direction of Mr. Paul Dewhurst. Boys are recruited from local state schools and show their commitment by practising four times a week.
The choir sings for the morning and evening services each Sunday and provides music at a number of special services throughout the year and at the popular Christmas concert ‘Brass and Voices’. The choir’s repertoire is extensive and includes music from the 16th century to the present day.
In recent years, three recordings have been made “Cantate Domino, Music for Matins and Evensong”, “On Christmas Night”, (a recording of Christmas Carols) and “In Every Corner Sing”. Every other year he Choir makes a visit to Bad Salzuflen, Bridlington’s German twin town, where it is very well-received.
Friends of Cathedral Music
Please click here to visit the Friends of Cathedral Music website.
Friends of Cathedral Music is a charity founded in 1956. Their purpose is:
- To sustain our priceless heritage of cathedral music and support a living tradition
- To increase public knowledge and appreciation of that heritage and tradition
- To encourage high standards in choral and organ music
- To raise money by subscriptions, donations and legacies for choirs in need.